Add these 5 habits to your daily routine
When I talk to my clients about weight loss, and recommend changes that they need to make in their lives they feel this fear of change. Or they think no matter what I do, it won’t be enough to make a difference.
Change does not need to be drastic, by making small changes to your daily life, adding healthy habits gradually will help you to love your body while working towards the body you want. No matter how big or small, these changes will add up.
Eat a Healthy Breakfast Every Morning
Research suggest that people who eat breakfast in the mornings manage their weight better and improve your health, then people that don’t eat breakfast. If you are not in the habit of eating breakfast every morning start adding it gradually to your morning routine.
- Try whole grains like oatmeal, whole grain toast (gluten free options)
- Make a smoothie by blending a banana, fresh or frozen berries with a vegan protein powder, with coconut or almond milk.
- Make an omelet with your choice of toppings.
- Keep on hand food that you can grab and take with you to work. Like apples, oranges, bananas or some nuts.
Add Healthy Vegetables And Fruits To Your Daily Life
Eat at least 4 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruits every day. Fresh vegetables and fruit is the foundation of a healthy diet.
- Vary between raw or steamed veggies. You can add some flavor like spices and herbs.
- You can add vegetables and fruit to your morning smoothie.
- Vegetables and fruit should take up the largest portion of your plate.
- Snack on vegetables and fruits anytime of the day.
- Don’t forget to explore your local farmers market.
- When you are traveling this holidays pack some ready-to-go vegetables and fruits as quick snacks.
Add Healthy fats to your diet
We read that all fats are unhealthy for us, but that is not the case. Make healthy choices when adding fats to your diet by adding olive oil, avocados, nuts and nut butters. These fats are the healthiest.
We get good fats and we get bad fats. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are the best choices of choosing fats. So, you must ask what is monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated fats and how will I know what foods to choose.
- Monounsaturated Fats are found in avocados, olive oils, cashew nuts and butter.
- Polyunsaturated Fats can be found mostly in nuts, seeds, fish, algae, and leafy greens.
Try to include at least 30 min of exercise daily, it can be walking, CrossFit, running or even cleaning the house. Exercise also has so many health benefits.
- Make excuses to exercise more, walk to the store, walk the dog, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park your car further away from the shop and walk.
- The most important thing to do is to make exercise enjoyable.
- Start slow at first and give your body a chance to get used to increased activity, very important to listen to your body.
- Instead of saying I don’t want to exercise today, tell yourself I am going to exercise and show up for myself.
Get more sleep
Stick to a sleep schedule. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, even on weekends, holidays and days off.
- Do not drink any coffee 6 hours before going to bed. This will make you feel more awake and you will struggle to fall asleep.
- Take a warm bath with lavender (essential oils), this will make you feel calm and get a good night rest.
- Try to sleep 7 – 9 hours a night, this will be good for your mood and helps to promote weight loss.